Position Title: Programme Coordinator (Saameynta Joint Programme)
Duty Station: IOM Somalia in Nairobi*, Kenya
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 01 February 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Over the last several years, Somalia has made slow but steady progress towards restoring peace and security. The Somali Government – at the federal and federal member state levels – is an increasingly viable partner to IOM and the broader international community. It remains nascent, however, and the Government still struggles to address the negative effects of conflict and natural disaster, which have resulted in more than two million displaced. Increasingly, opportunities are emerging to support durable solutions to displacement. IOM has been instrumental in its support of communities to drive, and government to increasingly lead on building progress towards durable solutions to displacement. With strong emphasis on localised capacities and community priorities, increasing partnerships are building momentum towards durable solutions.
In early 2021, IOM Somalia will serve as the lead agency for a new, three-year UN joint program, named Saameynta, and funded through the UN’s Multi-Partner Trust Fund (MPTF). Other participating agencies include UNDP, UN HABITAT, and the Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO). As lead agency, IOM will host a Consortium Management Unit to ensure maximum impact of Saameynta’s efforts, ensuring: efficient delivery of program activities, coordination with other durable solutions initiatives, liaison with and support to Saameynta Somali Government counterparts, and communicating results to the MPTF and contributing donors.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in Mogadishu and the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (Recovery and Durable Solutions), the Programme Coordinator (Saameynta Joint Programme) will be responsible for ensuring the timely and effective management and implementation of the Saameynta program, leading and coordinating the consortium comprised of three operational agencies and with support from the Durable Solutions Unit within the RCO, with IOM as the lead agency.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Manage the overall implementation of the joint program in a timely manner and be responsible for its financial, administrative, and technical backstopping in line with IOM policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
Manage the primary relationship with the donors, liaising between joint program partners and donors to ensure clear expectations and quality delivery of programming.
In line with the governance model outlined in the Saameynta project document, facilitate and/or lead and/or support the necessary coordination structures for the joint program and facilitate or support the coordination platforms at the operational and strategic levels while ensuring inter-agency synergies and joint efforts.
Effectively manage cooperation between joint program partners and between partners and Government, to ensure effective collaboration; and be responsive to agency and Government partners’ requests for coordination support and needs.
Promote harmonized approaches and methodologies across all partners by developing and monitoring use of common tools, as well as creating opportunities for experience sharing and learning.
Ensure effective engagement with other durable solutions programming in Somalia.
In partnership with implementing agencies and Government, develop project implementation modalities and methodologies.
Ensure the project progress is effectively monitored through regular data collection, analysis of indicators and activities and documented with appropriate and reliable sources of verification.
In coordination with the M&E and Reporting Officer, monitor and report on activities of the joint program agencies against the work plan, results framework, and budget.
Undertake regular visits to project areas and for consultation with Saameynta members, Government partners, donor representatives and other program stakeholders.
Manage donor trips and external monitoring; Represent Consortium with donors.
Manage communications to external partners related to IOM and the joint program activities including developing and overseeing the implementation of a communication strategy which highlights the program’s collective efforts.
Oversee and coordinate timely submission of reporting requirements to the MPTF as well as to contributing donors as per their requirements and ensure all Saameynta agencies comply with their reporting requirements to IOM. Ensure proper documentation of all program support documents for the projects (grants, beneficiary registration, land agreements, etc.) are recorded.
Represent Saameynta and its interests with relevant government authorities and ensure collaborative cooperation with key government counterparts for effective implementation and towards achievement of durable solutions to displacement in Somalia.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, International Development, Emergency Management, Peace Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with at least seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working in the field of displacement and durable solutions, preferably including experience incorporating;
• Demonstrable multi-stakeholder coordination experience;
• Experience in operational activities in a complex post-crisis setting;
• Experience in project design, implementation, and management;
• Experience liaising with specialized international agencies (UN agencies, international organizations, and international specialized NGOs);
• Prior experience working in the country or region is an advantage.
• Knowledge of the displacement and durable solutions subject matter in Somalia;
• Knowledge of UN aid architecture;
• Knowledge of UN, IOM, and broader international development community frameworks (MPTF, Somalia’s NDP, Social Development Pillar, etc.) in the field of displacement, durable solutions and community resilience.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali, Arabic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 01 February 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 19.01.2021 to 01.02.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 12 Programme Coordinator (Saameynta Joint Programme) (P3) IOM Somalia in Nairobi, Kenya (56812271) Released
Posting: Posting NC56812272 (56812272) Released